Saturday 24 September 2011

A Fabric Parcel for Dress A Girl - Philippines

The Sydney-Manila flight I took was delayed due to an airline strike and I did not get to the hotel till around 9pm (we were supposed to arrive about 3 hours earlier). The first thing I did the following day was find a sim card to purchase for my phone so it would be easy for me to get in touch with friends I wanted to see.  I had planned to stay in Manila for 3 days before leaving for the city of Cagayan de Oro where I had planned to do another distribution.

While looking for a shop or mall stall that sells sim cards I happen to pass by a fabric shop. Being a fabric hoarder, without hesitation I went to check out their items which were mostly on sale and then came an idea. Why not purchase some fabrics and give it to Dress A Girl Philippines as a donation from Dress A Girl Australia. Now there was a real need to find and purchase a sim card so I can get in touch with someone I met in the Dress A Girl Around the world member site who comes from the Philippines (Manila) a couple of weeks before I left for my holiday.

I finally was able to get in touch with Joy who, by the way, happens to be a fashion designer. I told her that I was planning to buy some fabrics for her to make into dresses and if she could pick up the parcel from the hotel where I was staying as I was about to leave for Cagayan de Oro the following day. She agreed so I went back to the fabric shop and bought some fabrics that would probably make about 6 or 8 or 10 dresses and half-a-dozen pillowcases. With these purchases, I think it will bring smiles to about a dozen little girls somewhere in Manila who deserves to own at least one dress.

On the same day I bought the items, I also met the wife of my ex-work colleague and spoke about the dresses and was very happy to make the distribution on behalf of Dress A Girl Australia. I left with her about 50 dresses to distribute when she has made her decision where and when to make the distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment