Sunday 6 November 2011

My Donation to Dress A Girl Australia

Two weeks ago, I finally got my prize from a sports competition we had at work. The contest was about tipping who was going to win the NRL grand league and run for about 30 weeks I think and I placed second (didnt watch any of the games, just based my guesses on what I read). I decided to give all my winnings away to Dress A Girl Australia ($100.00) and this is how I was able to start making pillowcase dress kits. I bought 6 pillowcases (they were the only ones available that were on sale) and about 12metres of different fabric materials, some elastics, buttons and ribbons.

There is another competition going on which I have also joined but the end is about 24 weeks away. Hopefully if I win again I can make more kits or buy more materials to make into dresses for next year's September distribution.
I still have lots of fabric materials in my collection (inspite of the number of dresses I have already made from it) which I dont think I will be able to use and I hope to make into pillowcase dress kits in the very near future. The above 6 is just a start. Some of the fabrics I have are great to make into a pair of shorts for my 'Shorts for the Boys' campaign. They were originally intended to be made into totes for my part-time handmades business but just could not find the time anymore as I focused my time on making memory quilts.  I may still make them into totes and sell them to help fund the cost of posting the dresses to the locations I have selected for distribution. Shipping costs are getting to be very expensive. It seems like the cost you pay to send items goes up every week.

The contents of my pillowcase dress kits will be posted very soon. I just need to take pictures of them. If you have any fabric materials which you dont think you will be using anymore and is just occupying space in your cabinets, please consider donating them to Dress A Girl Australia. They will be accepted with wide open arms and much appreciated. Just imagine how many little girls around the world will be happy they own at least one dress from your contribution. For more information, send an email to dressagirlaustralia@gmail.com.

Help Dress a Girl Australia...Make a difference in this world....one dress at a time! So send in those unwanted fabrics, elastics, buttons and ribbons.

No comments:

Post a Comment