Sunday 26 May 2013

A little bit of this and that - Helpful tips and hints for sleeved dresses

In my sorting of dresses with capped sleeves/peasant dresses I noticed that some necklines are still a bit wide that it might end up too wide for the child wearing it and we dont want the dress to fall off or make the child feel uncomfortable wearing it. Please note that these type of dresses are going to children that are of small build, where sometimes a 12-year old could only be a size 8 and not a size 12. If anyone is using a pattern which has a size 12-child or size 12-adult, please make sure you use the pattern size 12-child. We want to make sure that the dress is wearable and not too big for the child.
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A couple of weeks ago I received an email from Betty Barrett asking me if it was ok to use ribbons for the neckline of a peasant or capped-sleeved dresses instead of elastic as you can thread them through a neckline casing (pardon me if am not using the proper sewing terms in here). Last night I saw my response to her in my 'deleted items' folder and my response was yes and that she can even use fabric instead of ribbon and this would make the dress more flexible especially that you can adjust the neckline. Last night while sorting dresses for Cambodia I actually found about 8 dresses from Deirdre Parker using exactly what Betty Barrett was asking about. And here is a picture of some of those dresses. Thank you Betty for sharing this idea. 
Again, PLEASE think of this as a positive feedback. Am not trying to criticise your dresses, they are all beautiful (I even think I am not capable of making those dresses the way you make them) and I appreciate what everyone is doing but I just want to make sure that all dresses you make and donate is usable to locations where they are going. 

For the dresses that I have that I think have wide necklines (and which I think will probably make the girl who wears it uncomfortable) I pinned fabric flowers to each dress to make the neckline smaller. I really have no time to repair them. All my spare time is used in sorting, packing, organizing distributions, responding to queries, filling up orders on labels, spreading the word, making and selling handmade items to sell so I can keep on making a difference to the lives of the disadvantaged children around the world and lots of other stuff requiring my attention so I am hoping that everyone will understand when I make some positive feedbacks regarding some of the dresses I received. 

If I have to spend time and effort in sorting out these dresses and note what I believe needs some adjustment it is because I care about the clothes I send to girls who probably never owned at least one dress in their lifetime as beautiful as the dresses you all are making and I care and want to make sure that each girl who receives a dress feels comfortable and enjoys wearing the dress.

Again, thank you so much and thank you for your support. Much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment