Sunday 1 December 2013

A dress, an elephant and a song

I just had to take a picture of these fabric elephants that Sandra Turnbull donated for the Christmas bags before each of them gets inside a bag. In my first job, I used to travel a lot around the Asia-Pacific region and one time when I was in Singapore I saw this ad on TV. An old IBM ad of a mother and a baby elephant walking and the message it conveyed was something like 'good to have someone beside you who you can rely to and go for IBM all the way'. What really caught my attention to the ad was the background music of  'He aint heavy, he's my brother'. It is an old song (though am not that old LOL!)). I thought that was the best ad I have watched on TV so far and the best music. It was a perfect combination of the business message, song and the elephant. It was a short ad but so full of meaning. 
When I saw Sandra's elephants it triggered my memory of the ad, how relevant it is - the elephants, the music 'He aint heavy, he's my brother' and what some of us are doing. Making dresses for the less fortunate children around the world some of whom may not even have one which they can call their own. Sewing even just one dress is not so heavy for one child to enjoy. We are sisters to these less fortunate children and their families and one dress will make a lot of difference to their world.  

I looked for the complete lyrics of the song on the internet and here it is. For some they attribute the song to war stories - but for us sewing dresses, they aint that heavy to sew dresses for... even for just one dress.

The road is long, with many a winding turn 
That leads us to who knows where, who knows where
But I'm strong, strong enough to carry him 
He ain't heavy, he's my brother 

So on we go, his welfare is my concern
No burden is he to bare, we'll get there
For I know he would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

If I'm laden at all, I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart isn't filled 
With gladness of love for one another

It's a long long road from which there is no return 
While we're on our way to there, why not share
And the load, it doesn't weigh me down at all 
He ain't heavy, he's my brother 
He ain't heavy, he's my brother, 
He's my brother, he's my brother 

And if you want to listen to the song - please click here for the link. hope the link works.

No comments:

Post a Comment