Saturday 18 January 2014

Yarn Bombing

I went to Melbourne this morning so I could watch the matinee show of the King Kong musical which is ending in 2 weeks time. While waiting for the start of the musical I decided to walk around Federation Square and wondered why the tree trunks seemed to be very colourful. I went to where the trees were and that is when I saw yarn bombing. I have read about this being done in several parts of the USA and one or two in Australia but I have never really seen it happening or seen what it looks like until today.

Yarn bombing is a type of graffiti or street art that employs colourful displays of knitted or crocheted yarn or fibre rather than paint or chalk. Here are some pictures of the Yarn bombing at Federation Square at Cnr Flinders Street & Swanston Street, Melbourne. 
I love it. Maybe I should do one in my frontyard. At least I would not need council approval as it is inside my block of land. :-) Maybe...start with prayer flags? This would be a great thing to do. By the way, the King Kong musical was absolutely awesome. Mind-blowing production. The one-day trip was very worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment